Have you ever wondered where the idea to dress-up in costumes for Halloween came from? Or maybe why we carve pumpkins into jack-o’-lanterns?
- Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween.
- Halloween is the second largest commercial holiday in America.
- Jack-o’-lanterns were originally carved out of turnips, potatoes or beets.
- Dressing up in costumes comes from the ancient Celtic people celebrating Samhain. They believed it was a time when spirits could cross over into our world. In order to ward off evil spirits they wore costumes and masks.
- It’s illegal to dress-up as a priest in Alabama.
- Chocolate is the number one Halloween candy choice.
- The world’s largest pumpkin ever measured weighs 836 lbs. and was grown by Norm Craven.
- Almost 35 million pounds of candy corn are produced each year.
- The movie Halloween (1978) used the cheapest mask they could find for Michael Myers, due to a minimal budget. It ended up being a Captain Kirk mask from Star Trek.
- Boston, Massachusetts holds the record for the most jack-o’-lanterns lit at once. The final count was 30,128.